Workcover forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Workcover forum

A forum for interaction and public awareness of injured workers and the workcover system.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

vic system MY story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
capri1276

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-09

vic system MY story Empty
PostSubject: vic system MY story   vic system MY story Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi im a 40 year old male that has 3 kids i had a injury at work in july 03 steel shelf was pushed onto my foot that crushed it, I had 6 weeks off went back to light duties still in pain for about 18 months. It started to get very bad so i went back to GP to see what could be done. Went on to do tests and scans then told there was nothing that could be done about the pain. Then told that work cover had no record of the injury ever happening as I had put up with things and didn't keep up seeing my doctors, and as far as the insurance company are concerned if you don't see a doctor etc, at least every 3 months they will suspend your claim and assume that everything is OK. Meanwhile i was getting harrrased by fellow workers and my boss over filing another claim that was sent the same as the first then i had a nervous breakdown over trying to get workcover to cover the costs. I have been through pain management i am on various pain and nerve damage drugs. as well as now fighting depression. the way the insurance company Twisted Evil treated us was appalling. Now after 5 years on i have been told by my lawyers that i have no physical damaged evidence to go on to fight for a serious injury payout.
Every night i lay awake thinking how to end it all if i didn't have partner and my kids i would have and there the ones that have to look after me as i have days that i cant even get up as the pain is so bad yet there is nothing they can do for it. The more we fight to get what im entitled to the more we lose. I still remember my old boss saying at conciliation you won't win as you havent the $$ to do so. now i know he was right.
thanks steve
Back to top Go down
bwalker

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-05

vic system MY story Empty
PostSubject: Vic system   vic system MY story Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 5:53 pm

G'day Steve,
After reading your story, I just wanted to reply and let you know that you are certainly not alone. Whilst working in the emergency services I received a significant back injury in 2006. My claim was accepted and I underwent many radiological tests. I saw a neurosurgeon and he advised that immediate surgery was required. The insurance company sent me to many of there doctors to confirm that surgery was the best treatment. Both doctors confirmed that surgery was required. I continued to work whilst in significant pain 8-9/10 most days. I was finally put on strong pain meds and nerve drugs whilst I waited for approval. 2007 went by with still no response. Finally in Jan 08 I had to stop work due to the pain and then in March 08 they finally approved surgery. It took them a year and a half to approve surgery and only when I had stopped work. I think they were hoping that my injury would settle down in 2007 so they would not have to pay for a double spinal fusion. My experience so far has been poor and I have also suffered financially due to the 25% salary cut. Living from day to day at the moment just trying to pay the rent whilst I get over the surgery which at this stage has failed. My lawyers have told me that there is some chance to get financial compensation but for a life long injury, it wouldn't be much. I am much the same as you, I have good days and bad days. The bad days are a struggle to get out of bed due to the pain. I am also now struggling with depression due to everything that is going on.
Hang in there and good luck.
Regards
brad
Back to top Go down

vic system MY story
Page 1 of 1